It’s been about six months since the last time I redesigned the site, and while I didn’t want to redesign it yet again, I felt it could use a little update to make sure everything’s still good.
After reading this blog post about optimizing sites (specifically using a static site generator, like this one does) that was posted on HN, I got to thinking about optimizing my site. I tested my site on Google’s PageSpeed Insights and got a mediocre score (I don’t recall the exact number, but it was in the 70s or 80s). I haven’t gone anywhere near as all-out with the optimization as the blog post described, but I’ll still go over the couple things I did do:
- Removing custom fonts. The only custom font I previously used was Hack for code blocks, so removing that shaved off several extra requests and quite a bit of time without changing much.
- Replace js-cookie with a couple functions included in the inline script, saving ~2 kilobytes and an additional HTTP request.
- CloudFlare provides a number of optimizations (caching and HTML/CSS minification).
Additionally, there’s now a fallback