With iOS 16, Apple switched on TextKit 2 for UITextViews. But, if you access any of the TextKit 1 objects on the text view, it will automatically fall back to a compatibility mode. All of the work I did to mimic Safari’s link context menu animation was, of course, using the TextKit 1 APIs, so it was blocking me from fully adopting TextKit 2. So, here’s how to update that code.
Did you know that with macOS Ventura, Clarus the Dogcow has at long last returned home? Recently, while doing something else, I accidentally hit Cmd+Shift+P which opened the Page Setup dialog. I was greeted, surprisingly, with a new high-resolution version of the classic Clarus icon that I’d never seen before. I looked at it briefly, and then closed the dialog and went back to whatever I was doing before. I had assumed that because I’d been in a 3rd-party app at the time, that the Clarus icon was just some easter egg the developer had left. But a little while later, I got to thinking. What were the chances that someone went to the trouble of customizing the Page Setup dialog, of all things, just for an easter egg? Zero, it turns out. That dialog shows Clarus on the page preview in every app.
Hi. It’s been a while. Though the pace of blog posts fell off a cliff last year, I’ve continued working on my toy programming language on and off.
A while ago I wrote about some trouble I had getting Xcode to cooperate with my efforts to bring my app file size back under control after adding a new Swift Package dependency. Well, I’m happy to say I finally have: the most recent TestFlight build of Tusker has a 6.7MB install size, down from 25MB.
Ultimately I did take the route of turning my framework into a Swift Package. I revisited it because I noticed in another project that local packages inside the same folder as the main project worked perfectly fine. The only difference I found was that the project where it worked used only an
.xcodeproj, whereas Tusker used an
.xcworkspace. So, I deleted the (for unrelated reasons, no longer necessary) workspace and found that, after quitting and relaunching Xcode, the local package worked perfectly fine.
I briefly started writing a feedback report, but upon further testing I found that xcworkspaces in general weren’t the problem—a new project and workspace worked fine. So, I gave up trying to reproduce it and assumed there was just something weird about the 3.5 year old workspace.
The alpha release of Asahi Linux, a project to run Linux on Apple Silicon computers, came out a couple days ago. And out of a combination of boredom and curiosity, I thought I’d give it a shot.